Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Galapagos!

I spent several days in Guayaquil, Ecuador staying with my friend, Cristi. I got to eat a lot of delicious ceviche and enjoyed breakfast in bed every morning which typically consisted of fresh mango juice and Bolon (a plantain dumpling). We visited the beach town of Montanita and stayed a night at her apartment in Salinas. Payed $2 to ride one of those banana tube things behind a boat, and since the guy tied us only a few feet behind the rickety speedboat we flipped off again and again. It was great! I spent Christmas Eve with her family in Guayaquil which included going to a Spanish mass. I was the only blonde girl once again. Christmas Day I was off to the Galapagos!




I stayed at the Galapagos Best Homestay where I quickly met some friends who would become my Galapagos family while I was there. The hostel owner, Kevin, gave us an eccentric tour of the town in Puerto Ayora and that night I shared a Christmas drink with the other hostel guests.


On Puerto Ayora is the Darwin Research Center where you can view the rare Galapagos species that are being studied including different varieties of aquatic iguanas and the giant tortoises.

We did a trip to San Cristobal one day which was amazing! A two hour bumpy boat ride took us to the island. We were able to snorkel with sea turtles, sea lions, stingrays, and many fish. On this trip we went snorkeling at Kicker Rock. Kicker Rock is two large rocks out in the middle of the sea where a deep current runs between the deep rocks causing lots of sharks to come feed there. We snorkeled in this chilly strong current as black tip reef sharks circled around us! I counted up to 18 sharks at one time. Really Incredible!


Another day I hiked up the Sierra Negra volcano on the Island of Isabela. It's the second largest volcanic crater in the world. It was a tough 12 mile hike in the blistering sun up to the peak of the massive volcano but worth it for the amazing scenery and blistered feet.

A couple more days in the Galapagos were filled with exploring the peculiar islands with lots of snorkeling and an exciting/interesting night on the island of Isabela at a crazy old man, Beto's, beach bar. Beto showed us his full moon as he ran into the ocean shouting about it being the last full moon of 2012!


The Galapagos were a perfect way to end my trip with adventure and exploration! 

So....I made it all the way around the world on my own!
153 days. 14 countries. 1 backpack.
It was an absolutely amazing trip and I loved every moment of it!! I met so many incredible people, saw some beautiful places, ate delicious food, and had some awesome experiences! 

Made it to New York City just in time for New Years celebrations! Now onto the next adventure...life in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment